The more websites with a link to your site URL, the higher the ranking the search engines such as Google, Yahoo and others will rank your site. This is referred to by many as backlinking. While having links to your site is not the only factor for optimizing your ranking, it will give your site a better chance of landing the coveted first page. Having links on other sites can also draw traffic to you from that site. Listed below are a number of ways you can use backlinks to boost your ranking.
1. Write articles for free publication online. The resource box at the bottom will include the writer’s information with a link to your site. The more informative and interesting the article, the better the chance blogs and information sites will publish your article and link back to you.
2. Use social directories to submit blog articles you have written. Social directories and search engines love quality content. The more quality content you can post to social directories, the better the links back to you.
3. Find blogs related to your site’s subject and join them. Post comments in these blogs with a link back to your website. Of course, you will only want to post to blogs that allow backlinks.
4. Join online discussion forums related to your website. Become an active contributor to the discussions. Many will allow you to add hyperlinks back to your site after a time. These signature file hyperlinks can stay online for years, giving you backlink benefits for an extended time.
5. A number of services exist to help you get links added to many unassociated websites. For a fee they will have your URL added to others’ sites in their network. While this usually will not provide direct traffic to you from these sites, the search engines to pick up these links in their ranking consideration.
6. There are many web ezines covering just about any subject. Buy ads in these newsletters and ezines. Many are inexpensive. Others are free or exchange ads. These online publications become archived, providing years of backlinks. Search the web for ‘ezine advertising’ to find many companies who can post your advertisement to multiple publications.
7. Press releases can be released every time your website has something new to offer or embarks on a new project. These press releases will draw people to your site to find more information and can provide links to your site URL in the future.
8. Considering purchasing text link ads on various blogs, especially those with a larger regular following. Your link can end up giving you tremendous exposure with one ad link.
9. Some websites offer backlink exchanges. You agree to post mutual links to each others websites. This works well for complimentary websites.
10. If you sell a product you may want to join an affiliate program and offer a commission on each sale. You can reach potentially thousands of affiliates who will provide links to your account while advertising your product. This is a good way to move your product.
11. If you maintain an information site with a newsletter you might contact a company like MyPoints and offer an incentive for each newsletter sign up. You will build your mailing list and create links back to your site.
12. Include your website URL in a signature file you include in all e-mail correspondence, including e-mail you cut and paste to forward. This can create many links back to your site over time.
13. If you are into photography, post your photos online for others to freely use as long as they post a credit to you with a link to your site. Many websites use these photos and you will get links back to your URL.
14. Artists who create clipart and drawings can post their work for free use provided the user provides a link to them. Web publishers are constantly looking for new art content. This is a great way to create links to you.
While Search Engine Optimization (SEO) involves many factors, links to your URL from other websites are an important consideration of search engines in determining your ranking for searches. Use as many methods of creating links back to your site as possible. This will help give you better rankings for your website.